Monday, March 17, 2008

Thoughts on Mothers/ Daughters


What is it about this special relationship of mother and daughter? I feel like many of my hopes and dreams reside in some strange way in India. Poor thing...from the day she was born I felt things change right before my eyes. I looked down at this perfect little newborn and I saw myself, the image in the mirrar suddenly changed, where I once was, I saw a mother. I watch her now and I see her energy and passion for life and I am amazed. Again, I take a look at myself and ponder it all. I look forward to all the adventures we get to share in this life and savor all we already have enjoyed. And I realize that this delicate relationship could crush me if anything was ever to happen to her (to any of my children)- it's true what they say, that once you are a parent, you wear your heart on the outside for all the world to see, tender, fragile, vulnerable. It's so worth it, all this love, pain, worry, joy-each day we have with them is a miracle, a blessing, an honor.

2 comments:

Robin said...

So well worded. Isn't it amazing how that happens with our kids? I second everything you said!

Kari said...

Elsa, lovely post!

I can clearly remember looking in the mirror after Emily was born and no longer seeing just me, but also seeing her in me. It was so cool, and now with this third new baby, I am reminded of that again when I look in the mirror and see the features we share. It's so wonderful to start out as a married couple, then with time come children who share our features and our future. : )